the rules for both the mailing list and this website are pretty simple – use common sense and be nice to your neighbor.
to be a bit more specific:
- respect others’ opinions. just because someone does not agree with you, does not mean they are an idiot or require to be called such (or other words). do not personally attack another person on the list. if you have an issue with something that was said or done on list/website, address that person directly or contact jen. a good rule of thumb is to not hit the ‘send’ button immediately on an email reply when you are angered or frustrated or such – wait a few hours or til the next morning and then re-read your email and see if you feel the same way. don’t start wars. don’t start fires.
- treat others as you would expect to be treated. and as you’d like to be treated.
- spam is not tolerated on list or on the website. spam and spammers will be deleted and banned.
- this list is not for commercial posts BUT materials pertaining to Richard Brautigan for sale can be advertised here. Please include the words “AD” in your subject line. For example, AD: autographed copy of Trout Fishing. If “AD” messages become too abundant and boost the level of traffic too much, this list administrator reserves the right to ban these ads (and will probably switch them to a web page). Materials NOT pertaining to Richard Brautigan can not be advertised here. This includes ads for making $2,000 a week out of your home and sex phone lines and how to set up your own domain.
- do not use others’ words without their permission. if you’d like to use someone’s words (from the mailing list or this website), please get their consent prior to use (for example, if you want to post something on your blog that was said on list). if you want to post something to the list or website, make sure you have the copyright or permission to do so before using it (for example, your favourite story from X author). in the case of published works (like your favourite story from X author), quoting is fine. fair use is fine. do not republish an entire work without permission.
- do not join the mailing list or post to the website on behalf of another person, using another person’s email or pretending to be someone other than yourself.
- do not transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent information or material of any kind. this includes but isn’t limited to: unlawful acts, criminal offences, violation of any applicable law, infringing on copyright, trademark or other proprietary works, posting or transmitting material of any kind which contains a virus or other harmful component.
- violations of these rules can ultimately result in removal from the list. repeat offenders will definitely be removed. the community at large can influence decisions.
last updated april 2006 and subject to change.